Monday, September 20, 2010

wishing...

Right now I'm really wishing I could be sewing something with these fabrics...maybe not all together, but working with something from this pile!

But I'm plugging away at the QAYG quilts:

hand stitching on the dark side of where the blocks meet.  I went with a real dark backing fabric, so I'm hoping the navy( my JoAnne's has just white, navy, red to choose from) Perle cotton doesn't clash too much with the front. I have machine stitched in the ditch around each block, now just need to add a bit more stitching to keep everything together nicely.

and...I also seem to be ruining some nice fabric...I *thought* I was prewashing my Gee's Bend grape, but after 2 cycles in the machine and still bleeding like crazy, I thought I would soak the fabric a bit...and I am pretty sure I've taken about 8 shades of grape from my fabric so that now it looks like i have a dingy batik.

I was to be using this fabric in a table runner for my sister, but not sure it will work at this point.  pooh.

7 comments:

  1. Your QAYG block looks great! I like the blue stitching lines. :-) Sorry the Gee's Bend fabric was not the greatest, I wonder if they didn't wash it after they dyed it? :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too bad about your batik! On the other hand, better to have it bleeding everywhere now, that after you've made something with it. Looks like you're having lots of fun with your QAYG blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Jenny, I wonder if all the Gees Bend fabrics are like that? Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like I heard somewhere once to wash with vinegar in the water? I'll ask a friend of mine who makes hand dyed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell you parent of a young child when you spell poo with an "h". Love you, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabulous pile would make anyone wanna get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've washed with Shout Color Catchers then rinsed to remove any weird chemicals. They are available at your grocery store. It saved my coin quilt from becoming pink. Worth a try.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete